The purpose of MES in Industry 4.0
Industry 4.0 technologies such as Internet of Things (IoT), cloud computing, software as a service (SaaS), advanced analytics, machine learning, virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) are the future of manufacturing that allows you not only to reduce costs, but higher quality and faster processes in less time. Thereby, companies can easily answer the market needs for customized products. The New MES already includes these advanced technologies.
However, these new technologies need a structure connecting and coordinating them. Implementing a Manufacturing Execution System (MES) is the only way to guarantee quality, ensure productivity, manage costs and have reliable delivery dates. The success of Industry 4.0 depends on a new generation of MES that is Industry 4.0 ready. Therefore, this new MES has some key characteristics essential to the digital transformation in manufacturing.
Did you know that our software RAILES is a new MES that is Industry 4.0 ready?
MEs software is a system that manages all the data provided by machines and operators from the shop floor. By real-time monitoring, it has control over the production processes, and interacts with other systems in a two-way communication. Particularly, MES can either exchange information with the ERP, for instance, about the cost of certain material required to an order production or can send to ERP up-to-date information about the total cost of the production, if requested.
To be Industry 4.0 ready, the MES should be service-oriented and be organized by modules. In this regard, our software RAILES brings together, not only the key characteristics but others that differentiate it from its competitors. It has built-in intelligent algorithms that serve to process and analyse data, as well as optimize processes and suggest improvements in the operational context. This data, later transformed, is presented simply, through KPI’s, custom charts, and reports.
MES proven benefits
- Digital transition: eliminates paper of the processes by gathering all information on an intuitive platform, quick and easy to consult;
- Monitoring: extracts data directly from the machines;
- Indicators (KPI’s): transforms the collected data in valuable information which helps in decision making;
- Prediction and reaction: predict events such as critical situations (for instance, if the production objectives are being followed; when the machine will stop and the reason why; lack of raw material needed for a future order and reacts to an identified or alert failure, minimizing the error (or loss).
The use of MES software results in added value in terms of productivity and profitability, as a factory can reduce and optimize resources in several departments, since it interacts with all sectors of a factory, from production to planning to financial.
Best financial performance
The implementation of a MES in your factory ensures better financial performance since:
- Reduces quality problems;
- Reduces production costs (less stock, less cycle time, reduction of scrap);
- Increases assertiveness on product delivery dates to customers;
- By having all the traceability of the product and process available, you can
- Assure excellence in quality;
- Greater flexibility to be able to change orders placed by customers (after they are in production).
To sum up, with MES, directors, managers and production operators gain a competitive advantage in which they can not only monitor but also automate processes and reduce its complexity. Although there are other systems, more traditional though which it is possible to track the production process, MES system is recognized by industry experts as being able to collect and work data much more efficiently and accurately, using the added value of Industrial internet of things (IIoT).
In this sense, the path to Industry 4.0 requires strategic vision, rigorous planning and, above all, a good software partner to achieve success in digital transition to a smart factory. Therefore, when investing in industrial management software, those responsible must ensure that this software is agile and ensures scalability that is, with the ability to quickly adapt to process changes, automation levels, complexity and volume of growth.
It is also important that it is non-intrusive in order to collect data without the need to change or cause changes in machines or production systems.
Get to know all the modules of our smart platform here.